Sunday, January 29, 2012

MS: How I Have Improved My Camera Skills & The Difficulties I Encountered

During the filming lesson on the 26th of January,  I filmed a large part of our groups "Preliminary Task."

During the course of the recording session I put my knowledge of camera and editing techniques to practice.


The camera techniques I used involved:

  • Left to Right Panning
  • Following Pans (Walking backwards)
  • Crabbing Right (From inside the "Live Room")
  • Handicam + Over the Shoulder (Simultaneously)
  • The use of a 2-shot
  • A low angle framed shot
  • Close-Up
  • Mid-Shot
  • Long Shot
The Editing techniques we used as a group were:
  • Shot/Reverse Shots
  • Fast Pace of Editing
  • Prevalence (of Ben during the clip)
  • Jump Cuts (From the "Recording Studio" to the "Live Room)
The sound techniques we used were very simple, we only used direct and live sound form the 2 lines of dialogue advised. We used no music, sound effects or pre-recorded sounds.

Some difficulties we encountered involved:
  • Time Management
  • Use of the "180 Degrees" Rule
  • Positioning the camera correctly (When filming by Handicam)
  • Suiting dialogue, and camera techniques, to the room limitation choices.
We also found that the time consumption of editing on the Adobe software was long. We also experienced beginners' errors when using the editing software due to a few takes on camera being of different heights and brightness. However with some supervised  help we managed to tackle this and finish our Preliminary Task.

1 comment: